its first Pastor, the Rev. Harold E. Berg, Holy Trinity
Evangelical Lutheran Church was first organized in November
of 1954. Thanks to the thoughtful efforts of Mrs.
Louise Sena, Mrs. Lois Hepler, and many others in our
Holy Trinity congregation, decades of important church
events have been carefully recorded and preserved -
a historical record of church blessings and events.
all began with a church chapel at the Five Points intersection
of the Springside section of Burlington Township - (first
occupied on July 6, 1888). It was over 67
years later, in November of 1955, that Holy Trinity
Evangelical Lutheran Church made this chapel building
its new home.
As we "fast forward" and stop at November
18, 1979, Holy Trinity had now celebrated 25 years of
God's blessings. At that time, a chronological
event schedule was published and is shown below.
Now, as we move ahead and the 50th year anniversary
of Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church approaches,
it is soon time for a new and updated chronology.
Until that time, a nostalgic look at our past...
The First 25 Years...
October 15, 1953 -The first Lutheran Church
service in Burlington was held at War Memorial Hall.
The Rev. Harold E. Berg, a student at Princeton Seminary,
conducted the service.
November 23, 1953 -The first Lutheran Sunday
Church School in Burlington was held at War Memorial
Hall with 8 pupils and 2 teachers.
November 17, 1954 - The first Congregational
Meeting and Official Organization, was conducted by
Dr. Edwin H. Knudsey, President of the N.J. Synod.
The name Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was
chosen. The first Church Council was elected consisting
of Albert Guse, Fred Hennigs, Richard Heiss, Leonard
Miller, John Becker, Daniel Brown, Allen Foulks, Lee
Zimpleman, Edward Shewell, John Biehn, Harry Dunham,
and John Stuckey.
November 21, 1954 - Formal organization of
Holy Trinity as the 136th Congregation of the Evangelical
Lutheran Synod of New Jersey.
December 6, 1954-The first Church Council meeting
was held. Officers elected were Vice-President,
Richard Heiss; Secretary, John Biehn; Treasurer, Albert
Guse; Financial Secretary, Fred Hennigs.
January 25, 1955 -The first meeting of the
Sunday Church School Association was held. Allen
Foulks was President of the Association and John Biehn,
Sunday School Superintendent.
February 20, 1955 - A call was issued
to and accepted by Reverend Harold E. Berg to serve
as Pastor of Holy Trinity. Pastor berg had been
serving as Mission Developer until this time.
June 16-30, 1955 - The first daily Vacation
Church School was held.
November 20, 1955 -Service of Dedication
of the New Chapel.
October, 1958 -Dedication of the new parsonage
on Rancocas Road.
April 5, 1959 - Pastor Berg resigned
to accept a call to the Evangelical Lutheran Church
of the Good Shepard, Glen Rock, NJ.
February 1, 1960 - The Rev. Dallas D. Dorward
became Pastor of Holy Trinity. He had been serving
as Pastor of Bethany Lutheran Church, Gloucester, NJ.
February 3, 1963 -The congregation voted approval
for construction of the Parish Education Building
November 17, 1963 - Service of entry
and dedication of the Parish Education Building.
March 26, 1972 - The congregation voted
approval to proceed with construction of the new church
June 3, 1973 - Service of dedication of
new sanctuary and education facilities.
February, 1975 - A surprise dinner was held
honoring the Dorward's 15th anniversary with Holy Trinity.
June 5, 1977 - Pastor Dorward resigned
to accept a call to St. Michael's Lutheran Church, Cherry
February 26, 1978 -The Rev. Charles Immendorf
became Pastor of Holy Trinity. Pastor Immendorf
had been serving as Dean and Professor at Luther College,
Teaneck, NJ., and was interim Pastor at Christ Lutheran
Church, Woodcliff Lake, NJ.
October 15, 1978 - November 18, 1979 -
WE CELEBRATE 25 YEARS OF GOD'S BLESSINGS AND OPPORTUNITIES
FOR PROCLAIMING HIS WORD IN THE BURLINGTON AREA
To be continued...